Friday, May 20, 2011

Pan-frying Frozen Pot Stickers

Now, I can't really say that I "cooked" these, so I didn't give it its own number. However, I felt like it is one my significant milestones in the kitchen. Somehow, I never managed to successfully pan-fry frozen pot stickers, but after going through a bag full of pot stickers cooked in three batches, I feel like I've almost... come close to my mom's skills.... I'm sad to say that this is probably my first failure. I mean, seriously, it is hard... for me. I burned about half of the first batch, slightly burned some of the second, and almost burned some of the third. After I go through the proper way to pan fry frozen pot stickers, I will list some of my mistakes.

How to Pan Fry Frozen Pot Stickers
burning... :(

  1. Heat the pan at high and pour a generous amount of oil in the pan.
  2. Place the pot sticker in the pans. I put them all in with their bottoms down to make everything unanimous.
  3. OPTIONAL: If the pot stickers are still too frozen/not thawed, pour some hot water in the pan and put the lid on. Wait until the water is gone before you finish pan frying the pot stickers.
  4. Add a little bit of oil. Put the stove on low-medium heat and fry until the pot stickers are nice and crispy. I tried to fry each side, but my mom said that this wasn't necessary. One side is fine.
  5. Serve w/ sauce. I use a combination of red vinegar, soy sauce and garlic chili pepper sauce.


Now, onto my mistakes...

  1. I kept on forgetting to turn down the fire when I was pan frying. Note: If left on the high heat, they will burn VERY quickly.
  2. I didn't wipe the pan after the first batch was burned, so the subsequent batches all had little black burnt remains on them.
  3. I didn't add oil after the water was gone. This was also a small factor in the burning.
Hopefully, the next time I pan-fry pot stickers, they will turn out beautifully. I love pot stickers and it's so hard to resist the variety of pot stickers at the Asian supermarkets. They're really cheap and can last a couple of meals, so I may just stock up on some when school starts up again. Of course, I may just look for an actually pot sticker recipe, but before that, I will stick to the frozen sort. Either way, I love pot stickers and totally recommend them to everyone. Happy frying!

<3 Joanna Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment